POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Password difficulty (Message 21 to 30 of 37)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Password difficulty
Date: 12 Aug 2011 14:21:49
Message: <4e456f3d@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:18:00 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> (Obviously, before you try breaking people's passwords "for real",
>>> there are various political issues to consider. But I didn't even get
>>> as far as /testing/ the tool, since the AV classes it as "greyware".
>>> Which I suppose is reasonable.)
>>
>> Indeed, the proper way to do this in a production environment is to get
>> the approval of management so they know what you're doing and why.
>> It's a 'security audit' or 'password audit'.  You don't want to get
>> caught doing any kind of penetration testing on your company's network
>> without TPTB being aware of it - that can lead to serious consequences
>> (potentially personal legal liabilities for that matter).
>
> Sure. But first I wanted to check whether the tool I've picked actually
> /works/, and have a bit of a play around with it. /Then/ I might see
> about using it on real passwords...

That's what a lab server is for (ie, a server in an IT lab, not a server
in the lab you work for <g>).

You might have to disable the AV software, since it's 'greyware' (that's
a term I've not heard before, but presumably it means 'this is a hacking
tool', to which one might say 'well, duh!').

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Sure. But first I wanted to check whether the tool I've picked actually
>> /works/, and have a bit of a play around with it. /Then/ I might see
>> about using it on real passwords...
>
> That's what a lab server is for (ie, a server in an IT lab, not a server
> in the lab you work for<g>).

That's what VMware is for. ;-)

> You might have to disable the AV software, since it's 'greyware' (that's
> a term I've not heard before, but presumably it means 'this is a hacking
> tool', to which one might say 'well, duh!').

I'm guessing if I boot up a Linux VM and ask it to install the Linux
version of the tool, the AV won't know what just hit it. (I don't think
it scans network traffic, only actual files. On the other hand, maybe it
will recognise the data in the disk image? But on the first hand, I
doubt it scans for Linux threats, only Windows ones...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:29:03 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Sure. But first I wanted to check whether the tool I've picked
>>> actually /works/, and have a bit of a play around with it. /Then/ I
>>> might see about using it on real passwords...
>>
>> That's what a lab server is for (ie, a server in an IT lab, not a
>> server in the lab you work for<g>).
>
> That's what VMware is for. ;-)

You're learning.  I remember not too long ago when you thought what VMware
did was impossible so not worth even trying out. ;)  And yes, VMware does
make an excellent lab environment.

>> You might have to disable the AV software, since it's 'greyware'
>> (that's a term I've not heard before, but presumably it means 'this is
>> a hacking tool', to which one might say 'well, duh!').
>
> I'm guessing if I boot up a Linux VM and ask it to install the Linux
> version of the tool, the AV won't know what just hit it. (I don't think
> it scans network traffic, only actual files. On the other hand, maybe it
> will recognise the data in the disk image? But on the first hand, I
> doubt it scans for Linux threats, only Windows ones...)

Yeah, that would probably work as well.

Jim

Post a reply to this message