POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Password difficulty : Re: Password difficulty Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:34:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Password difficulty
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Aug 2011 04:21:42
Message: <4e48d716$1@news.povray.org>
>> I still find it surprising that VMware manages to run software at nearly
>> native speed. Other emulators I've seen are way, way slower...
>
> VMware doesn't emulate, that's a big difference.  The code runs natively
> in many/most cases.

...until it performs any kind of kernel-mode operation, presumably.
(Which would be ALL THE TIME, more or less.)

>> It still amuses me that I can run Linux under QEMU, and it's *still*
>> fast enough to run DOOM with software rendering. ;-)
>
> Computers are pretty speedy these days.

That's my point, yes. ;-)

The old POV-Ray benchmark (skyvase.pov) used to take /hours/ to run,
unless you had a cluster. Today it can be run in a few split seconds.
It's so fast it's useless as a benchmark. Now that's progress...