POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Darren New
Subject: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots
Date: 4 Aug 2011 21:45:24
Message: <4e3b4b34$1@news.povray.org>
http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2011/08/zygote.html

Check out the third paragraph.
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2011 00:17:33
Message: <4e3b6edd$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 18:45:22 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2011/08/zygote.html
>
> Check out the third paragraph.

It's a shame he doesn't get the Linux pieces down very well.

The package manager, for example, doesn't control whether files are
replaced or deleted - what he's seeing is part of the standard filesystem
behaviour.  I could just as easily cause the problems he describes by
deleting necessary files while a program is running.

Similarly, his assertion in the last paragraph is laughably funny - ask
any user of Slackware whether the apps they use are 'lame ports of
Windows apps" because they're all installed through tgz files.

And what he asserts about Chrome and Chromium not working well together
shows a lack of understanding of packaging dependencies for RPM and DEB
packages.  They *could* well set up a dependency that says not to install
if Chromium is installed (or to identify the packages as non-compatible).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> I could just as easily cause the problems he describes by
> deleting necessary files while a program is running.

  If the program is keeping the file open, then deleting the file won't
affect it. However, if it's a file that the program opens and closes
repeatedly during its execution, then that's indeed the case.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:12:28 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> I could just as easily cause the problems he describes by deleting
>> necessary files while a program is running.
>
>   If the program is keeping the file open, then deleting the file won't
> affect it. However, if it's a file that the program opens and closes
> repeatedly during its execution, then that's indeed the case.

Yes, and that's the case regardless of whether it's the user at the
console doing it or a package manager doing it. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message