POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots : Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Aug 2011 16:31:11
Message: <4e3c530f$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2011 21:17, Jim Henderson wrote:
> what he's seeing is part of the standard filesystem
> behaviour.

Nah. I can overwrite a config file, or I can write a new file and rename it
to be the config file, and these are entirely different things on Linux. The
package manager just happens to do the latter.

The whole story is basically:

1) We can't just fork, because glib and other libraries might have locks
open, and in that case things with threads break, and we use threads.

2) We can't just fork+exec, because if we exec, we get the new version of
the executable which expects the new versions of files and it might not
communicate well with the existing running processes.

3) So instead we start a helper process to hold open all the old versions of
files because that's the only way to keep them from being deleted once
they're unlinked, and the package manager unlinks old versions of files. And
stuff often breaks if we forget to make sure every file we might need gets
versioned this way.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?