POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots : Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2011 21:59:30
Message: <4e3ca002@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:46:57 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 8/5/2011 13:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Sure, but he's describing the behaviour as a package manager behaviour,
>> when in fact it's an OS/filesystem behaviour.
>
> What "behavior" do you think is enforced by the file system that isn't a
> choice of the package manager?

That of allowing files to be deleted while they're open.  I don't "think"
that's a choice of the package manager, because it is in fact how *nix
filesystems work, regardless of what the app thinks about it.

>> But that's not what he wrote, and in writing it the way he did, he got
>> some things wrong.<shrug>   It happens, but it's important to
>> understand how he got them wrong so the above makes sense.
>
> I think that's pretty much exactly what he wrote. I didn't see anything
> he actually got wrong.

I guess we'll have to disagree on it.  I read his description and found
that it made no sense at all, and I'm not exactly a newbie to Linux....

Jim