POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots
Date: 5 Aug 2011 22:01:02
Message: <4e3ca05e$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:00:43 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Yes, it's a choice of whether to rename the file or delete it

Agh, rename or copy.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Aug 2011 23:24:42
Message: <4e3cb3fa$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/2011 18:59, Jim Henderson wrote:
> That of allowing files to be deleted while they're open.  I don't "think"
> that's a choice of the package manager, because it is in fact how *nix
> filesystems work, regardless of what the app thinks about it.

Well, yes, it allows files to be deleted while they're open.

"thankfully, package updates write a new file and rename it over the old
name, leaving our open copy the only remaining reference to the old name."

That's the only place where he makes a distinction, and that's what I'm
talking about. As I demonstrated elsewhere, it's a choice of the package
manager whether to write a new file and rename it, or overwrite the old
file, which is what he's talking about here.

> I guess we'll have to disagree on it.  I read his description and found
> that it made no sense at all, and I'm not exactly a newbie to Linux....

OK. It made perfect sense to me, and I'm not exactly a newbie to Linux *or*
Unix.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?