POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots : Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is, in part, why many Windows updates require reboots
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Aug 2011 01:20:12
Message: <4e3ccf0c$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/2011 21:20, Jim Henderson wrote:
 > "one distinction between "lame port of a Windows app" and "real Linux
 > software" is exactly whether you distribute as a tarball or as a package."
 >
 > Factually incorrect, as I said, ask anyone using Slackware what they
 > think of that statement and they'll laugh you out of the room.

Does a tarball on Slackware actually track dependencies? I think any general
statement you make about Linux is going to be wrong in at least one
distribution. Plus, that's one distinction. He's obviously talking about the
distros that actually have packages.

 > Factually incorrect, since package management systems that use RPM or DEB
 > allow for the creation of packages that won't install if a conflicting
 > package is installed.

I think making a Chrome update package that won't install if Chrome is
already present would be counterproductive.  What do you think the
"conflicting package" would be?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?