POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  You what? (Message 21 to 30 of 118)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: You what?
Date: 12 Jul 2011 08:03:28
Message: <4e1c3810$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/07/2011 12:32 PM, Warp wrote:

> (spoken Finnish doesn't have nearly as many phonemes as many other languages,
> including English, which means that most finns can't even pronounce many
> English words correctly because of lack of practice).

Egg flied lice, anyone?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jul 2011 10:52:48
Message: <4e1c5fc0@news.povray.org>
On 08/07/2011 07:15 PM, nemesis wrote:

> Oh, and BTW, those verses... yeah, I can now understand why you can't stand
> poetry if such obtuse lines are all you can grasp of it...

As should be obvious, this is not poetry. This is lyrics. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 12 Jul 2011 11:22:12
Message: <4e1c66a4$1@news.povray.org>

> On 08/07/2011 07:15 PM, nemesis wrote:
>
>> Oh, and BTW, those verses... yeah, I can now understand why you can't
>> stand
>> poetry if such obtuse lines are all you can grasp of it...
>
> As should be obvious, this is not poetry. This is lyrics. ;-)

And the difference is?

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jul 2011 11:59:39
Message: <4e1c6f6b$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/07/2011 04:22 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> On 08/07/2011 07:15 PM, nemesis wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, and BTW, those verses... yeah, I can now understand why you can't
>>> stand
>>> poetry if such obtuse lines are all you can grasp of it...
>>
>> As should be obvious, this is not poetry. This is lyrics. ;-)
>
> And the difference is?

Lyrics can be in an unintelligible language and still be delightful.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 12 Jul 2011 15:20:43
Message: <4E1C9E89.20105@gmail.com>
On 12-7-2011 10:09, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> No, see, you're thinking that the English language follows some kind of
>> *logic*.
>
>    The most logical aspect of English is the pronounciation.
>
>    For example, how do you pronounce the word "read"? Impossible to say all
> by itself. It depends on the context. (Or, more precisely, it depends on the
> tense of said verb, both present and past tenses being written identically
> but pronounced differently.)

How about 'leading', is that always pronounced the same? You might think
that is a leading question, but I always had a suspicion that in
typography it might be pronounced different because of a different,
heavy, origin.

... GIYF, yes that seems to confirm my suspicion.

There are brilliant poems and songs about consistent english
pronunciation, I am sure they have been pointed at before in p.o-t

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message