POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? : Re: You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You what?
From: andrel
Date: 12 Jul 2011 15:38:56
Message: <4E1CA2CE.9010601@gmail.com>
On 12-7-2011 13:32, Warp wrote:
> Francois Labreque<fla### [at] videotronca>  wrote:
>> How does Finnish deal with foreign words?
>
>    How does any language deal with foreign words?

We do it different. We import English (and other) words as is and they
are pronounced as much as possible like in the original country. That
becomes fun if it is a verb. Take for instance that you want to say that
you saved data. Although we now have a Dutch word for it often the word
'save' is used here too to describe this action. 'save' is in
pronunciation close to the dutch 'zeef', the present perfect of which is
'gezeefd', hence we say and write that 'we de data hebben gesaved', so
we have an english word with Dutch inflections. That means that in the
middle of a word we switch pronunciation rules from dutch to english and
back. Even if the english word contains e.g. vowels that would be
pronounced different in Dutch, like in this case.