POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You what? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  You what? (Message 19 to 28 of 118)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: You what?
Date: 12 Jul 2011 06:50:02
Message: <4e1c26da$1@news.povray.org>

> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>>>     In Finnish, at least, you know how a word is pronounced, regardless of
>>> context. This even in the case that you have never heard or seen that word
>>> before in your life, nor know what it means.
>
>> Now, see, this is how an alphabetic script is supposed to work. That's
>> the whole idea. The fact that English is a random mixture of a dozen
>> incompatible languages with no rhyme or reason such that it fails this
>> basic definition is another matter...
>
>    Btw, Spanish is another language where you know how to pronounce written
> words unambiguously, even without context or previous knowledge.
>
>    OTOH it's slightly "inferior" to Finnish written language in that some
> letters have different pronounciations depending on the surrounding letters
> (which is something almost completely inexistent in Finnish; AFAIK there's
> only one such case). The pronounciation of complete words is still completely
> unambiguous, though. It just means that there's no full 1-to-1 correspondence
> between letters and how they are pronounced.

How does Finnish deal with foreign words?  For example, the "ch" in many
words of greek origin (psychology, chaos, stochiometry, chemistry,
etc...), are they rewritten or taken as is?

>    (Written Spanish is also slightly "wasteful" in that the letter H is
> completely silent, making it kind of obsolete. It's also a common source
> of grammatical mistakes because the pronounciation of the word does not
> indicate the presence of the letter. Also, there are words which differ
> from each other only in whether they have an additional H or not, which is
> confusing and a source of even more grammatical mistakes.)

While it is not as hard as in English or German, the h in spanish is
still not completely silent.  For example, the s sound of "los" in "Los
Angeles" carries into the second word, whereas in "Los haciendas", it
doesn't, and in some words, such as "hombre", it is indeed pronounced.

DISCLAIMER: My knowledge of spanish is limited to having a
Latin-American neighbor and having been to Mexico a few times.  I may be
totally wrong.