POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ubiquitous Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Ubiquitous (Message 26 to 35 of 35)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Ubiquitous
Date: 11 Jul 2011 11:56:02
Message: <4e1b1d12$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/11/2011 1:56, Invisible wrote:
> I wonder how many octets you can fit on one side of A4 paper? You could
> probably *print out* 512KB and not use all that many trees...

The source code to the OS was a shoebox full of microfiche.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 11 Jul 2011 16:39:18
Message: <4e1b5f76$1@news.povray.org>

> On 10/07/2011 6:55 AM, Warp wrote:
>> I still remember the time when 4 MB in a PC was a pretty decent amount
>> of RAM (and more expensive than 4 GB or RAM today).
>
> And I remember when you had to add an additional 384k to the 640k
> conventional memory to make it 1 meg. Now my laptop has 8 Gig

I remember when having 48K of RAM was huge. I also remember an ad for a
5Mb hard drive for $5000. It's size: 18.5" x 8" x 4.25". It had it's own
power supply.

Post a reply to this message

> I remember when having 48K of RAM was huge. I also remember an ad for a
> 5Mb hard drive for $5000. It's size: 18.5" x 8" x 4.25". It had it's own
> power supply.

  I don't remember it, but I have been told that such hard drives used to
be the size of a fridge at some point. (And probably more expensive than
a car.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message