POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ubiquitous : Re: Ubiquitous Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubiquitous
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2011 12:23:59
Message: <4e1dc69f$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/12/2011 23:47, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> When the high school finally replaced the old NCR-50 mainframe (such as it
>> was) with a PR1ME, the disk drive was in a cabinet literally as big as a
>> fridge. However, if you opened it up, the cabinet was empty but for some
>> wiring and a disk drive maybe 10cm high. The head of the department couldn't
>> stop laughing for about 20 minutes.
>
>    Maybe back then it was a questio of vendors thinking that customers would
> think "if it isn't (physically) big, it can't be good".

Yeah, we weren't sure what it was. There were wires running from the box to
lights at various places on the front panel, so it wasn't like we had an
entire rack with one U filled or something like that. I suspect it was
indeed the marketing department.  I suspect you could have put four drives
in and wasted about half the space with wires running to lights far from the
drives, tho.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like