POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ubiquitous : Re: Ubiquitous Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:30:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubiquitous
From: Alain
Date: 12 Jul 2011 20:23:31
Message: <4e1ce583$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:
>> I remember when having 48K of RAM was huge. I also remember an ad for a
>> 5Mb hard drive for $5000. It's size: 18.5" x 8" x 4.25". It had it's own
>> power supply.
>
>    I don't remember it, but I have been told that such hard drives used to
> be the size of a fridge at some point. (And probably more expensive than
> a car.)

That one was one of the very first ordinary consumer hard drives available.
It was colour and style matched for the Apple ][. It was made to stand
on top of the Apple ][ case. Same width and hight. The other dimention
matched the depth of the cover.

The ad put "More storage than you could ever use"... I have many
individual files that just wont fit on that one.