POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The die is cast Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  The die is cast (Message 21 to 30 of 31)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: The die is cast
Date: 7 Jul 2011 03:40:01
Message: <web.4e1562a31c724f596dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Slime <pov### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
> > If you're playing a game with one die, this is the word you use. "Roll
> > the die."
>
>   Maybe it's a British quirk. For example this Briton clearly says "roll
> the dice" even though there's only one die:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Lx_g47kKs

Could be. I think I'd say that too, albeit in the slightly guilty knowledge that
I'm saying it wrong. But then if nobody else said it first, I'd probably plump
for 'die'.

I'm going to correct everyone I know now :)

Post a reply to this message

>> If you're playing a game with one die, this is the word you use. "Roll
>> the die."
>
>    Maybe it's a British quirk. For example this Briton clearly says "roll
> the dice" even though there's only one die:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Lx_g47kKs

as singular as well. I would also say taps and dies.
On a related point, in the north of England some people will still say
thou as the singular form of you and in the west of Scotland, youse for
the plural of you.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On 07/07/2011 8:39 AM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Warp<war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>> Slime<pov### [at] slimelandcom>  wrote:
>>> If you're playing a game with one die, this is the word you use. "Roll
>>> the die."
>>
>>    Maybe it's a British quirk. For example this Briton clearly says "roll
>> the dice" even though there's only one die:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Lx_g47kKs
>
> Could be. I think I'd say that too, albeit in the slightly guilty knowledge that
> I'm saying it wrong. But then if nobody else said it first, I'd probably plump
> for 'die'.
>
> I'm going to correct everyone I know now :)

Would you say that the circumference of a circle is two pice are? ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message