POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The die is cast : Re: The die is cast Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:29:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The die is cast
From: andrel
Date: 7 Jul 2011 16:47:01
Message: <4E161B4E.5010507@gmail.com>
I have been watching this discussion but there is not much to add from
my side. Other than that I know both die and dice as words and that I
always though dice was the plural.

Totally irrelevant to this english discussion, but it did remind me of
the standard translation for 'alea iacta est' in Dutch. Which is: 'de
teerling is geworpen'. Where 'teerling' is the Dutch word for a die.
Only it isn't, sort of. The Dutch word for die is 'dobbelsteen' I have
never heard anybody use the word 'teerling' except in this context.
There is no way you can understand 'teerling' from other words. It was
some time after I learned this Dutch expression that I finally gave up
trying to understand it myself and looked it up in a dictionary. I don't
think I was the only one. What is the point of using an unknown, archaic
word in an expression if there is a perfectly normal word for it?

Now playing: Rush, roll the bones.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.