POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The greatest knowledge... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  The greatest knowledge... (Message 35 to 44 of 44)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The greatest knowledge...
Date: 10 Jun 2011 00:39:27
Message: <4df19fff$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/9/2011 20:27, Darren New wrote:
> The main difference between mainframes and smaller systems is that
> mainframes are optimized for I/O. Even the mainframe I used 30 years ago

Another example: The mainframe knew which disks were fast (having multiple
heads per platter, for example) and which were slower, and it put the
indexes of databases and directories and such (etc) on the fast disk and the
bulk data and actual file contents on the slow disks.  It also allocated
random-access files on cylinder boundaries.

Nowadays, the blades and desktop machines don't even know what the cylinder
boundaries of their disks are.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like