POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The greatest knowledge... : Re: The greatest knowledge... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The greatest knowledge...
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Jun 2011 10:21:09
Message: <4df76e55$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/06/2011 02:42 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> 2. Why would that be useful? Mainframes are supposedly optimised for I/O
>> performance, not compute performance.
>
> Ever heard of Cray Supercomputers? ;-)

Depending on who you ask, a supercomputer isn't the same thing as a
mainframe.

When I was at the London Science Museum, I had a chance to see a Cray 2
supercomputer. According to Wikipedia, this was the fastest computer on
Earth when it was first built, managing to achieve a peak performance of
about 1.9 GFLOPS.

...which sounds like a lot, until you realise that the Cray 2 originally

US) which produces about 2,488 GFLOPS.

(Also: Trying to get GFLOPS ratings for recent CPUs is like trying to
find gold dust!)