POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Speedy thing goes in... (Message 21 to 30 of 38)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Speedy thing goes in...
Date: 6 Jun 2011 15:03:00
Message: <4ded2464@news.povray.org>
>> Heheh. These are the people who thought "hey, let's make it so that
>> every home user has full admin rights by default". Yes, I'm sure they
>> know a thing or two about security. ;-)
>
> Um...
>
> Wrong perspective. Development was actually from CP/M's "access control?
> just lock the f*** room door" concept to there.

Yes. And it has taken them a spectacularly long time to figure out that
this model is ineffective today.

(Apparently this is the company that thought that networks were just a
"fad" that would go away after a while...)

> Oh, and didn't they go for "hey, let's make it so that every home user
> does /not/ have full admin rights by default" when they introduced
> Vista?

Yes.

They didn't do it in Windows 2000, they didn't do it in Windows XP, only
in Windows Vista did they *finally* get it right.

Granted, backwards compatibility didn't help them at all. But I'm pretty
sure there are better solutions than what they actually came up with.
The company's goals seem to be to promote a /sense/ of security rather
than actually /being/ secure.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Am 06.06.2011 21:02, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>>> Heheh. These are the people who thought "hey, let's make it so that
>>> every home user has full admin rights by default". Yes, I'm sure they
>>> know a thing or two about security. ;-)
>>
>> Um...
>>
>> Wrong perspective. Development was actually from CP/M's "access control?
>> just lock the f*** room door" concept to there.
>
> Yes. And it has taken them a spectacularly long time to figure out that
> this model is ineffective today.

Not really. It has been around in NT since when? Ever since the first
version, I guess.

> (Apparently this is the company that thought that networks were just a
> "fad" that would go away after a while...)

If that's what they had thought, they surely wouldn't have attempted to
roll their own network.

But they possibly didn't expect a single network to win over all the others.

I think none of the network operators did back then. And definitely they
didn't expect a (then) /non-commercial/ network to make the race.

>> Oh, and didn't they go for "hey, let's make it so that every home user
>> does /not/ have full admin rights by default" when they introduced
>> Vista?
>
> Yes.
>
> They didn't do it in Windows 2000, they didn't do it in Windows XP, only
> in Windows Vista did they *finally* get it right.
>
> Granted, backwards compatibility didn't help them at all. But I'm pretty
> sure there are better solutions than what they actually came up with.
> The company's goals seem to be to promote a /sense/ of security rather
> than actually /being/ secure.

Yes. I guess customers would go rampant if they gave them a somewhat
secure system - because people would (a) complain that they have to
invest time in security housekeeping (you can't just "buy" security), or
(b) complain that the system still isn't /totally/ secure (ignoring the
fact that such a thing as a totally secure system exists only beyond the
event horizon of a black hole).

Typical end users want to just "buy" their security (or, better yet, get
it for free), and not invest any of their own time into it. So Microsoft
serves this market segment with the best security you can buy for money
alone: The mere illusion of it.

Post a reply to this message