POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speedy thing goes in... : Re: Speedy thing goes in... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speedy thing goes in...
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2011 18:30:19
Message: <4ded54fb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.06.2011 22:02, schrieb Darren New:

> Again, the on-demand scanner is the worst possible way, efficiency-wise,
> to detect such things. Where "efficient" means "minimal impact to actual
> users." It should be a last resort, not a primary mechanism.

You need an on-demand scanner though, lest a program opens a file that
wasn't there when you last had a chance to check it.

Plug in a USB stick full of data, and open something from it right away:
In that scenario, on-demand is the /only/ efficient mechanism. You don't
want to tell the user, "sorry pal, that file you're trying to open
happens not to have been scanned yet - and there's still 4236 other
files scheduled to be scanned before it."

Likewise, you don't want to clog up the system for minutes just because
someone inserted a USB stick he only reads one file from.

So in the sense of "total computing & I/O time spent for virus
scanning", on-demand may be the worst - but "felt" system speed is not
measured in such ways.

Also note that even if a file has been scanned and hasn't changed, the
virus database may have; so if you don't want to dig through all files
on the system every time the virus database changes, on-demand scanning
provides an advantage there as well. (Ideally of course in that case the
file would only be checked against virus signatures that were installed
after the file was last checked.)