POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Only two weeks until the End of the World (Message 28 to 37 of 97)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
Date: 7 May 2011 16:28:01
Message: <4dc5ab51@news.povray.org>
On 07/05/2011 8:39 PM, Warp wrote:
>    Reminds me of this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPd-SY6OhLY

She needs re-educating.
Or maybe just educating.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 7 May 2011 16:48:39
Message: <op.vu4pfbwoufxv4h@xena>
On Sat, 07 May 2011 16:30:05 +0200, Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

>> On Fri, 06 May 2011 16:47:40 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>>> If you have been following any of the crazy things that are happenin
>>> in the United States, one of the latest fads is this prophecy that t
he
>>> end of the world, as told by the bible, is going to happen 21st of t
his
>>> month, ie. two weeks from now. The people behind this "prophecy" are
 so
>>> serious about it that it's not confined to the internet, but in the
US
>>> there are big billboards announcing it, not to talk about TV and oth
er
>>> media. They have made it a rather big thing. (I'm sure you'll find t
his
>>> on google if you didn't know about it already.)
>>>
>>> I'll be taking bets on how they will explain it away when it will no
>>> happen. (I suppose it will go something along the lines of "God, in
his
>>> infinite mercy, took pity on us and has given us more time to repent

>>> before the rapture really happens".)
>>>

>> "It's the end of the world as we know it"
>>
> ...and I feel fine :)

  All together now...

--

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 May 2011 16:56:44
Message: <4dc5b20c$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/7/2011 7:29 AM, Alain wrote:
> Le 2011/05/07 01:21, Jim Henderson a écrit :

>>> Why do you need a new social security card? You're in the USA, yes?
>>
>> Yes. All the jobs I've had in the past, when it came time to do the
>> paperwork, they wanted the SS card. At least that's what I remember, but
>> if anything, it's an excuse to take a couple of weeks and not make a
>> hasty decision. I don't need to rush, for once, I can take my time while
>> not having to focus on job responsibilities.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Ok, but are'nt those cards have a life long validity? They never expire.
> I mean, you get one, you keep it indefinitely and never need to replace
> it unless somewho you destroy or loose it.
Possible he lost it? Lot of places take photocopies of the stuff you
provide, to have it on record that you actually gave a card, not just
filled in some numbers.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 May 2011 17:00:46
Message: <4dc5b2fe@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 07/05/2011 7:48 PM, Darren New wrote:
> > I really don't want you in government,

> I don't want them parking outside my house.

  Be careful, or they'll play the victimization card: If someone makes
even the slightest suggestion that their right to shout their views should
perhaps be limited in some ways, they will immediately start shouting that
they are being discriminated against and that there's a nationwide attack
against christianity.

  (Never mind that if someone dares to make any such public display about
atheism, they will be outraged. They will be completely oblivious to the
obvious double standard.)

  Which got me thinking: Many christians in the United States like to
emphasize how 80 or 90 or whatever percent of the nation consists of
christians, while at the same time they behave like the vast majority
consists of godless sinful heathens who need to be evangelized and saved.
Double-think much?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 May 2011 17:08:49
Message: <4dc5b4e0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Possible he lost it? Lot of places take photocopies of the stuff you
> provide, to have it on record that you actually gave a card, not just
> filled in some numbers.

  It's interesting how different this is between countries.

  In Spain (I have lived there) every single citizens has the same type of
official identity card. AFAIK it's mandatory to have one and I think it's
at least in principle even mandatory to have it with you at all times at
least if you are away from your home town. (If the police demands to see
your identity card and you don't have it, it might cause some repercussions.)

  In Finland it's much more relaxed. There's no one single official identity
card. There is an identity card, but it's not mandatory. There are many other
forms of identity documents that are equally valid, including a driver's
license and a passport. (In other words, even if the only form of official
identification you own is a driver's license, it's enough. You don't need
anything else.)

  I lived many years without any unexpired official identification document.
(AFAIK this would be unthinkable in Spain.) Had to then get one for practical
reasons (you can't open bank accounts, get credit cards, etc. without such
an ID).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 May 2011 17:17:14
Message: <4dc5b6da@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 May 2011 11:03:13 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 5/6/2011 22:21, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Yes.  All the jobs I've had in the past, when it came time to do the
>> paperwork, they wanted the SS card.
>
> No, they want proof of permission to work in the USA. So you either need
> a SS card plus photo ID, or proof of citizenship. Get a passport
> instead. :-)

Passport is expired, renewal is something like $85.  SS card replacement
is free. :)

Though I do have a certified copy of my birth certificate, too....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 May 2011 17:17:45
Message: <4dc5b6f9@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 May 2011 10:29:33 -0400, Alain wrote:

> Ok, but are'nt those cards have a life long validity? They never expire.
> I mean, you get one, you keep it indefinitely and never need to replace
> it unless somewho you destroy or loose it.

Yes, they are - but I lost mine.  Hard to present if I can't find it. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 May 2011 17:18:37
Message: <4dc5b72d@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 May 2011 05:21:07 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> > Why do you need a new social security card? You're in the USA, yes?
>
>> Yes.  All the jobs I've had in the past, when it came time to do the
>> paperwork, they wanted the SS card.  At least that's what I remember,
>> but if anything, it's an excuse to take a couple of weeks and not make
>> a hasty decision.  I don't need to rush, for once, I can take my time
>> while not having to focus on job responsibilities.
>
>   I think the point of the question was why do you need a *new* SS card.

I lost my old one.  I suppose I should have said "replacement" rather
than "new". :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 May 2011 17:22:40
Message: <4dc5b820@news.povray.org>
On 07/05/2011 10:00 PM, Warp wrote:
>> I don't want them parking outside my house.
>    Be careful, or they'll play the victimization card: If someone makes
> even the slightest suggestion that their right to shout their views should
> perhaps be limited in some ways, they will immediately start shouting that
> they are being discriminated against and that there's a nationwide attack
> against christianity.

There is only one thing I can say and it's "Go forth and multiply".

http://therationalviewpoint.blogspot.com/2010/11/atheism-bus-campaign.html

>    Which got me thinking: Many christians in the United States like to
> emphasize how 80 or 90 or whatever percent of the nation consists of
> christians, while at the same time they behave like the vast majority
> consists of godless sinful heathens who need to be evangelized and saved.
> Double-think much?

Don't think about religion, just take it on faith.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 May 2011 18:12:22
Message: <4dc5c3c6@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Am Sat, 07 May 2011 15:39:05 -0400 schrieb Warp:
> >
> >   Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPd-SY6OhLY
> >
> >   The death toll of the Japan earthquake is already 10000+ people and
> > with at least that many still missing (which means that the toll is only
> > going to raise). And that girl is simply ecstatic and overjoyed by this.
> >

> Or trolling:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ImnZasEAQ

> Not sure what would be worse though

  Even if it's a parody (rather then she just claiming so because of all
the backlash), the interesting thing is that most people don't see it as
parody because that kind of mentality is, in fact, plausible.

  Oftentimes it's difficult to distinguish parody from seriousness. For
example this is parody (relatively obvious, but many people still get
fooled): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8q9jeyfeo

  This is not parody, even though it could very well be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

--
                                                          - Warp