POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World : Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
From: Warp
Date: 7 May 2011 17:08:49
Message: <4dc5b4e0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Possible he lost it? Lot of places take photocopies of the stuff you
> provide, to have it on record that you actually gave a card, not just
> filled in some numbers.

  It's interesting how different this is between countries.

  In Spain (I have lived there) every single citizens has the same type of
official identity card. AFAIK it's mandatory to have one and I think it's
at least in principle even mandatory to have it with you at all times at
least if you are away from your home town. (If the police demands to see
your identity card and you don't have it, it might cause some repercussions.)

  In Finland it's much more relaxed. There's no one single official identity
card. There is an identity card, but it's not mandatory. There are many other
forms of identity documents that are equally valid, including a driver's
license and a passport. (In other words, even if the only form of official
identification you own is a driver's license, it's enough. You don't need
anything else.)

  I lived many years without any unexpired official identification document.
(AFAIK this would be unthinkable in Spain.) Had to then get one for practical
reasons (you can't open bank accounts, get credit cards, etc. without such
an ID).

--
                                                          - Warp