POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Old fart? (Message 61 to 70 of 117)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Old fart?
Date: 19 Apr 2011 16:38:30
Message: <4dadf2c6$1@news.povray.org>
>> Usually "unhandled kernel-mode exception" or "page fault in non-paged
>> area". Fortunately, I haven't seen one of these for years now. I used to
>> see them almost daily.
>
> I did as well, but then I switched to Linux.  I think in the 15 years or
> so I've been using Linux now, I've seen the kernel panic maybe twice (and
> the second time was trying to reproduce the first time so I could file a
> bug report).

I've seen plenty of Linux kernel panics. Usually just after you finished
installing Linux [or so you thought]. Assuming you get it to actually
work properly in the first place, it seems pretty rock solid, as far as
I can tell.

>> Perhaps you can tell me what event #3019 from MRxSmb means then, because
>> the description merely says "the redirector failed to determine the
>> connection type". (WHAT redirector? WHAT connection? WTF?)
>
> First hit on Google:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889000
>
> That article links to another that says it's an informational message and
> can be safely ignored.

I love the way it says this issue happens with SP2, and there's a
hotfix, but doesn't say whether that's included in SP3 or not.

>> Once upon a time, a compiler or interpreter would have come with an
>> extensive user manual. Today you get far less.
>
> Depends on the compiler and the language.  One example of an esoteric
> compiler used by a small group of people doesn't make a 'trend'.

It's a data-point I happen to have to hand. I'm sure it's not hard to
find plenty of others.

>> Then again, GHC costs nothing. The Pascal compiler I used to use cost me
>> £80. (!!)
>
> Meh.  I paid something like $250 for the Borland C compiler when I was in
> college (or just before I went to college).  I probably still have it
> somewhere.

I still have an illegal copy of Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5 for MS-DOS on
3" floppies somewhere...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/