POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 181 to 190 of 452)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 15 Apr 2011 14:27:03
Message: <4da88df7$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/15/2011 10:48, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Are you saying there's some sort of relationship between the halflife of a
> substance and how much radiation it emits?

Well, yeah. By definition, if the half life is a month, it emits half of all
the radiation it'll ever emit in the first month. If the half life is a
year, it takes a year to emit the same amount of radiation, so it's 1/12th
as radioactive.

Indeed, that's exactly why you pile up a bunch of naturally-occurring
uranium in a reactor. The atoms set each other off much faster than you'd
get from normal unstimulated half-life decay.  Otherwise there wouldn't be
any uranium left.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like