POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Plug & play Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Plug & play (Message 21 to 30 of 53)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Plug & play
Date: 5 Apr 2011 11:21:46
Message: <4d9b338a@news.povray.org>
On 05/04/2011 04:19 PM, scott wrote:
>> I think perhaps the way to remedy this is to make it possible to do
>> something about poor quality products. Make it so that if the customer
>> is not happy, it directly affects the manufacturer in some way. Damned
>> if I know how though...
>
> Write a review on amazon.

How does that help?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 5 Apr 2011 11:50:15
Message: <4d9b3a37$1@news.povray.org>
> How does that help?

You don't read reviews before buying something?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Apr 2011 13:07:23
Message: <4d9b4c4b@news.povray.org>
On 4/5/2011 7:41, clipka wrote:
> Am 05.04.2011 16:09, schrieb Invisible:
>
>> I have absolutely no idea whether these "server-grade" drives really
>> *are* more reliable, or whether it's just a sucker tax.
>
> Server drives are designed to endure continuous use.
>
> Desktop drives are designed to endure lots of power cycles.

The drives in a NAS are exactly the same as what you'd buy off the shelf in
an electronics store.

Google has a whitepaper telling about the drive reliability based on
statistics from half a million disk drives. There's little correlation
between "category" and reliability.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like