POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Japan Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Japan (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Japan
Date: 11 Mar 2011 16:02:36
Message: <4d7a8dec$1@news.povray.org>
I'm guessing everyone here has heard, but there was a massive earthquake
in Japan about 12 hours ago.  Reports say it registered as 8.9.

My brother in Osaka just reported that there have been (so far) 18
additional earthquakes over 6.0 and over 100 aftershocks of at least 4.0
(with 3/4 of them over 5.0), and that local news is saying this could go
on for days or weeks.

I don't even know how to react to this.  He's about 500 miles from where
the first quake hit, and nearly all of the reported events are east and
northeast of Tokyo, so he (and his family there) don't appear to be in
any danger at the moment, but I've also got friends and colleagues in the
Tokyo area.

It's just staggering.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 11/03/2011 9:02 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> My brother in Osaka

I hope he and his get through it okay.

> It's just staggering.

I assume, no pun intended.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I'm guessing everyone here has heard, but there was a massive earthquake
> in Japan about 12 hours ago.  Reports say it registered as 8.9.
>
> My brother in Osaka just reported that there have been (so far) 18
> additional earthquakes over 6.0 and over 100 aftershocks of at least 4.0
> (with 3/4 of them over 5.0), and that local news is saying this could go
> on for days or weeks.
>
> I don't even know how to react to this.  He's about 500 miles from where
> the first quake hit, and nearly all of the reported events are east and
> northeast of Tokyo, so he (and his family there) don't appear to be in
> any danger at the moment, but I've also got friends and colleagues in the
> Tokyo area.
>
> It's just staggering.

yes, been following.  I also remember Kobe some years ago.  You can see
where giant youkai and Godzilla legends originate from the sheer
devastation left...

I have a nisei aunt who says geologically Japan will eventually be wiped
off of world map, much like Atlantis of myth.

best regards to your brother!

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message