POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 23:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells? (Message 153 to 162 of 182)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Quick ... does the banner under #6 ring any bells?
Date: 13 Oct 2009 12:42:19
Message: <4ad4adeb$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     But if I tell you this, and you eat, and then refuse to pay in
> anything but cash, then I'm duty bound to take the money or let it go?

Yep. If I owe you money, you have to accept cash.

>     Makes some sense - I guess that's why car rental places won't rent
> unless you provide a card in advance. Probably to avoid that exact
> scenario.

They are happy to take a large wad of bills as security deposit. Most people
don't want to give them $1000 cash as a security deposit on the car, tho.

>     Really? What if A has 5% tax and B has 7% tax? I still end up paying
> 7%? And how much does A get?

Depends on the exact bits, but it's like living in two different states. You
wind up paying the full tax to both states, but each state says "if you
already paid taxes for something else, you can deduct those taxes from what
you owe us."  They certainly don't *have* to, but pretty much everyone does.

What's more common is you work in the city with a city tax, and you live in
a place without any city tax, so you wind up paying the whole city tax to
the city.

>     I've never looked into this, as I always lived in the same city
> where I worked. Even more fun would be when you live in a different
> state from where you work.

State taxes are based on where you live, not where you work.

> always assumed you only paid income taxes for the state you live in.

Yep. If you live in two different states, it's different, and if you live in
a place without taxes and work in a place with taxes, it can be different.

This is why we pay the tax lawyers.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)