POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 61 to 70 of 283)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 9 Dec 2008 11:54:00
Message: <493ea2a8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:36:13 -0500, Tom Austin wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> It's not too hard to get a bootable LFS system - and if it is hard and
>>> you get it to boot, then you've learned a lot!
>>
>> Maybe now it is, I remember it used to be an incredible way to install
>> because you had to do *everything*.  I've seen some newer releases that
>> script some things, though.
>>
>> Jim
>

> Even with the scripting/automation it takes a bit of work to get it to
> boot - you still have to get GRUB on the HD and the like.
>
> I usually run jhalfs to do all the legwork on the base system - up to,
> but not including, compiling the kernel.  Up to that point it's mostly
> following what the book tells you to do.  From the kernel on you have to
> make some decisions and customize the steps for your particular setup.
>
> Just about any Linux stuff I do now is via LFS - I like knowing what I
> am working with.

That is one of the best things about using Linux - and I mean *really*
using it.  You can dig in as deep as you want, and there's always
something new to learn.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Dec 2008 11:57:01
Message: <493ea35d$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:03:06 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Yeah, well... why bother supporting a platform that hardly anybody uses?
> *Clearly* it's more profitable to support only the most popular
> platforms. ;-)
>
> That's why no Linux drivers, no Linux games, no Linux apps...
>
> (Yes, I realise there are a few of these now, but still not that many.
> Yet.)

This is not an accurate portrayal by any stretch.

"no linux drivers" - as someone pointed out, especially as regards legacy
hardware support, Linux kicks Windows' ass.  The time it becomes a
problem is when the manufacturer won't release specifications for the
hardware so drivers can be created.

"a few" is a poor characterization at best.

Jim

Post a reply to this message