POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 21:32:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Dec 2008 11:57:01
Message: <493ea35d$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:03:06 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Yeah, well... why bother supporting a platform that hardly anybody uses?
> *Clearly* it's more profitable to support only the most popular
> platforms. ;-)
>
> That's why no Linux drivers, no Linux games, no Linux apps...
>
> (Yes, I realise there are a few of these now, but still not that many.
> Yet.)

This is not an accurate portrayal by any stretch.

"no linux drivers" - as someone pointed out, especially as regards legacy
hardware support, Linux kicks Windows' ass.  The time it becomes a
problem is when the manufacturer won't release specifications for the
hardware so drivers can be created.

"a few" is a poor characterization at best.

Jim