POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Do trials by jury make sense? (Message 58 to 67 of 87)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
Date: 29 Apr 2008 01:48:47
Message: <4816b6bf$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:59:56 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> A better comparison would be whether you'd more likely see a movie the
>> educated critics say is good and everyone else says is bad or vice
>> versa.
>
>   I don't think crime is a matter of opinion. (At least not in most
>   cases.)

Crime isn't what's being decided by the jury.  What's being decided by
the jury is which facts presented are the actual facts of the case - that
determination is made by normal people in the US who are called up for
jury duty.

Out of curiosity, have you ever served on a jury?  In Finland (going from
memory, so please correct me if I'm wrong), what sort of criminal justice
(and civil justice, for that matter) system is used?

Jim

Post a reply to this message