POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do trials by jury make sense? : Re: Do trials by jury make sense? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do trials by jury make sense?
From: scott
Date: 29 Apr 2008 03:37:29
Message: <4816d039@news.povray.org>
>> An even more fundamental problem then in our system, is that "normal"
>> people
>> with no training in law or politics get to vote on who runs the country
>> (and
>> hence influence key decisions)!  How absurd is that?
>
>  Less absurd than only 12 people deciding the fate of a suspect.

How come?  The "wrong" government voted in by normal people (rather than
experts who are advising otherwise) can cause problems orders of magnitude
bigger than some wrong decision in a court.

>  Imagine if the leaders of the country were decided by the vote of 12
> random people. *That* would be absurd.

That's not very absurd at all, unless the elections were really close,
asking 12 totally random people would probably give the same result as
asking the whole population.  Raise that number to just 30 or 50 people and
you'd almost certainly get the same result every time.  If you're good at
stats you can work out the figures.