POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  These words (Message 41 to 50 of 166)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: These words
Date: 22 Apr 2008 11:35:42
Message: <480e05ce$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> 'on-TON-druh' might be a rough approximation (apologies to the French).
>
> "Critics of ad hoc pronunciation schemes point out that such schemas are
> inherently self-referential, since they rely on the ability of the
> reader to already know how a large number of words are commonly
> pronounced. In addition, such schemas often assume a certain language,
> dialect or accent on the part of the reader, and due to its popularity
> in the US, this is very often a US accent."

Fair enough. This example works fine for both british and US accents,
though.

:P

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Apr 2008 11:42:10
Message: <op.t90q89yuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:56:36 +0100, John VanSickle
<evi### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Invisible wrote:
>> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/archives/268
>>  How many of these words can *you* figure out, without looking them up?
>
> lush:  (1) adj.  harboring great quantities of life, esp. plant life.
> (2) n.  a person given to excessive alcohol consumption.

Also a possible abbreviation of luscious.

> Oedipus complex:  n.  A romantic attraction towards ones own parent of
> the opposite sex.

Less noted is the Jocasta complex which is the romantic attraction of the
mother to the son.

> defenestration:  seriously, the act of ejecting another person or thing
> from a building through a window of said edifice.

Ah so that's where deportation came from ;-)

> MILF:  Acronym of Mother I'd Like to Fuck

Yet another Simpsons reference - this time from the game and the
NeverQuest level

Homer: Wow Marge you are one hot MILF
Marge: The word is elf. Elf!

--