POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "What every programmer should know about RAM" Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  "What every programmer should know about RAM" (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM"
Date: 21 Apr 2008 16:49:14
Message: <480cfdca@news.povray.org>
> I still kinda wish you could actually build a PC that had several GB of
> RAM running at the same speed as the CPU - but I'm guessing it might be,
> uh, slightly expensive?

  I'm not even sure it would be physically possible. L1 caches are always
quite small, and I'm not sure it's all about money.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 21 Apr 2008 16:56:23
Message: <480cff77@news.povray.org>

> > Very slightly...
> > To give you an idea, I've jsut bought components for a new PC. CPU is a
quad
> > core running at 2.4 GHz.
> > I can get 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 memory for around R250. I can get 2 GB of
> > 1066 MHz memory (same speed as the FSB) for around R800
>
> Except that - as the guy pointed out - it's *not* the same speed as the
> CPU. It's actually 566 MHz, double-pumped. And the RAM itself is running
> at a lowly 266 MHz. No wonder it takes > 200 cycles to access main
> memory... :-S

I never said it was. CPU's running at 2.4 GHz. FSB is much slower, memory
slower still.

But look at the price difference anyway. Not insignificant

Post a reply to this message