POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "What every programmer should know about RAM" : Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM" Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM"
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2008 18:17:08
Message: <480d1263@news.povray.org>
> >   I'm not even sure it would be physically possible. L1 caches are always
> > quite small, and I'm not sure it's all about money.

> Yeah, speed-of-light delays can kill you, and a huge amount of the delay
> comes from address decoding rippling thru the cascade. Or at least used to.

  The speeds involved are much lower than c.

  If I'm not mistaken, the electric current phenomenon traverses in copper
at about 0.7c. I have no idea how fast it traverses in silicon, but
I wouldn't be surprised if it was even slower than that (given that
silicon is not a metallic conductor).

  The major factor is, however, the transistor phase change delays.

--
                                                          - Warp