POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "What every programmer should know about RAM" : Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM" Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "What every programmer should know about RAM"
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2008 20:00:06
Message: <480d2a86@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   I'm not even sure it would be physically possible. L1 caches are always
>>> quite small, and I'm not sure it's all about money.
>
>> Yeah, speed-of-light delays can kill you, and a huge amount of the delay
>> comes from address decoding rippling thru the cascade. Or at least used to.
>
>   The speeds involved are much lower than c.

Yep. Even in fiber optics, it's noticably slower. But even if you *did*
do speed-of-light transfer, having a huge amount of memory that takes up
a cubic foot of space means you're still not going to get transfers in
nano-second timeframes.

>   If I'm not mistaken, the electric current phenomenon traverses in copper
> at about 0.7c.

That's my memory too.

>   The major factor is, however, the transistor phase change delays.

And waiting for all the transistors to settle. I.e., waiting for the
clock to propagate. Some of teh really cutting-edge high speeds are done
with clockless architectures. Of course, they're rather limited in what
they can do, very special-purpose.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"