POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now what am I going to store on this? Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Now what am I going to store on this? (Message 42 to 51 of 61)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Now what am I going to store on this?
Date: 19 Apr 2008 05:33:54
Message: <4809bc82$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> Anyway, Silicon is a semiconductor, not a nonconductor.  Normally, it's
>> a very poor conductor, but when doped becomes the equivalent of a
>> superconductor.
>
>   Uh? Maybe you should check your physics again?

Which part - my description of semiconductors, or my classification of
Silicon as one?

I'll admit that I could be wrong about Silicon being a semiconductor; I
just assumed it was one because it's commonly used in semiconductors.

However, the rest of the description is fairly accurate, if a bit
simplified.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905544

--

FE

Post a reply to this message

Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> >> Anyway, Silicon is a semiconductor, not a nonconductor.  Normally, it's
> >> a very poor conductor, but when doped becomes the equivalent of a
> >> superconductor.
> >
> >   Uh? Maybe you should check your physics again?
> >

> Which part - my description of semiconductors, or my classification of
> Silicon as one?

  Your comparison of doped silicon to a superconductor.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> By that definition, Carbon would be a semiconductor. :-P
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905544

Right. So unusual configurations of Carbon form a semiconductor, diamond
is a good insulator, and graphite is an excellent conductor. Looks like
the electronic properties of a substance are *totally* determined by
their position on the periodic table to me. Oh, wait...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Right. So unusual configurations of Carbon form a semiconductor, diamond
> is a good insulator, and graphite is an excellent conductor. Looks like
> the electronic properties of a substance are *totally* determined by
> their position on the periodic table to me. Oh, wait...

  Atomic and molecular chemistry is one of the wackiest phenomena of
nature I can think of.

  Take an innocent harmless molecule, remove one atom from it, and it might
be converted into a deadly poison.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:52:23 +0200, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Right. So unusual configurations of Carbon form a semiconductor, diamond
> is a good insulator, and graphite is an excellent conductor. Looks like
> the electronic properties of a substance are *totally* determined by
> their position on the periodic table to me. Oh, wait...

Nobody said that valence electrons were the *only* factor determining the
electrochemical properties of matter, just that it is an important one.

Besides, diamonds make really good semiconductors too:
http://www.geek.com/81ghz-diamond-semiconductor-created/

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> Which part - my description of semiconductors, or my classification of
>> Silicon as one?
>
>   Your comparison of doped silicon to a superconductor.

Isn't that the point of doping?

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

>> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>>> Which part - my description of semiconductors, or my classification
>>> of Silicon as one?
>>
>>   Your comparison of doped silicon to a superconductor.
>
> Isn't that the point of doping?

Like, craaaaaaazy, man!

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com

Post a reply to this message

>>> Which part - my description of semiconductors, or my classification
>>> of Silicon as one?
>>
>>   Your comparison of doped silicon to a superconductor.
>
> Isn't that the point of doping?

I think you'll find that pure silicon is an *insulator* [which is why
the substrate of a silicon chip is made of pure silicon], and it only
becomes partially or fully conductive once you dope it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I think you'll find that pure silicon is an *insulator* [which is why
> the substrate of a silicon chip is made of pure silicon], and it only
> becomes partially or fully conductive once you dope it...

I don't think so. Otherwise you wouldn't need the "O" in CMOS.

It certainly becomes *more* conductive after you dope it, but the point
of doping it is to put N-doped and P-doped silicon bits next to each other.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"