POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VoIP Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  VoIP (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: VoIP
Date: 14 Apr 2008 16:51:07
Message: <4803c3bb$1@news.povray.org>
Hey guys, here's a good laugh...

As you may remember, the company I work for is due to move into a new
building that's nearly completed now. Well apparently when they turn the
phones on in this new building, the phones in our existing buildings
will stop working. And apparently that happens this week.

But all is not lost. According to our Director of Lab Operations, all we
need to do is go down to the nearest shop and buy a couple of those
new-fangled "Skype phone" thingies and all our problems will magically
go away. (Don't you just love it when managers who know nothing about
technology come up with technical solutions?)

Well anyway, obviously I know precisely nothing about VoIP. I understand
that such a technology could theoretically exist, but it's news to me
that it has ever been deployed on a large scale.

(Certainly for home telephony it would seem to present a vast range of
disadvantages too obvious to enumerate. OTOH, some people look only at
price and don't really think these things through properly... Anyway,
whether it's suitable for home use is rather irrelevant here.)

So, here's a few questions:

1. How much bandwidth does a system like Skype require? [You'll recall
that where I work we are desparately short of bandwidth.]

2. Is Skype really trustworthy? [You can guarantee that no matter how
much I warn them, if we end up using Skype and some person manages to
steal confidential data as a result, it will somehow be "my fault".]

3. Is Skype really reliable enough to run absolutely mission-critical
functions? [My personal preferance would be to buy a couple of real
mobile phones. Last time I checked, mobile phone network operators have
actual *laws* they have to abide by. Skype is not so-encumbered.]

I see that the guys at Google have their own VoIP software that you can
use for free - but it doesn't appear to allow access to the PSTN, so I
don't think it will be of any use here. Indeed, presumably *any* system
that can talk to the PSTN will by definition cost money...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Well anyway, obviously I know precisely nothing about VoIP. I understand
> that such a technology could theoretically exist, but it's news to me
> that it has ever been deployed on a large scale.

I suggest that you read about Asterisk:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_PBX

- and SIP:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol