POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about OOXML Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  A question about OOXML (Message 32 to 41 of 41)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: A question about OOXML
Date: 7 Apr 2008 16:55:34
Message: <47fa8a46@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> If app A doesn't implement parts of the standard they don't use,
> and app B doesn't implement parts they don't use,
> then chances are you will have incompatible files between app A and B.

Then why is everyone using XML?

Answer: because it's easy to ignore the parts you don't use.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 7 Apr 2008 17:39:36
Message: <47fa9498$1@news.povray.org>

> Then why is everyone using XML?

Hype? :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 7 Apr 2008 23:27:21
Message: <47fae619@news.povray.org>
> Why should the file saved by Word not be readable by A or B?  A and B will
> just ignore the parts they don't need.

Because you are choosing a situation that fits a best case for
the standard. Let us say that A and B are both word processors,
to the end user of A it makes sense to load up a document that
has the same extention as documents produced by A, even if
they came from B. Now lets say that A uses VML and B
uses DrawingML, the document from B probably will not
look right in A, even though both programs will claim to be
ISO compliant (but are only partially). At the same time MS
will be able to load documents from A and B and save them
using special MS markup that neither A or B understand.

Post a reply to this message

>> Why should the file saved by Word not be readable by A or B?  A and B
>> will just ignore the parts they don't need.
>
> Because you are choosing a situation that fits a best case for
> the standard. Let us say that A and B are both word processors,
> to the end user of A it makes sense to load up a document that
> has the same extention as documents produced by A, even if
> they came from B. Now lets say that A uses VML and B
> uses DrawingML, the document from B probably will not
> look right in A, even though both programs will claim to be
> ISO compliant (but are only partially).

Well sure, but that's just how standards work.  If program A or B only
partially implement the standard then you cannot expect them to open every
possible file and show it correctly.  And we don't expect people to
implement every single part of the standard, because then you're rewriting
Word!

If your application A only uses VML, then I would expect the developer to
include some converter to put images into VML format.  Otherwise he must
expect a lot of people to get annoyed because he hasn't implemented the
other common image types.

> At the same time MS
> will be able to load documents from A and B and save them
> using special MS markup that neither A or B understand.

Well fine, but it ceases to be an ISO OOXML file then if any program puts in
stuff that is not in the spec.

Post a reply to this message