POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about OOXML : Re: A question about OOXML Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about OOXML
From: scott
Date: 8 Apr 2008 06:02:57
Message: <47fb42d1@news.povray.org>
>> Well fine, but it ceases to be an ISO OOXML file then if any program puts
>> in stuff that is not in the spec.
> Isn't that why people don't like the new standard?
> MS put their custom tags into the ISO standard so they can
> avoid rewriting Word to be ISO compliant. It's easier for
> MS just to change the standard. A and B now need to re-implement
> Word just to be ISO compliant,

Well there's a surpise, you invent a new standard to define Word documents
in an open way, then you complain that to read them completely you need to
re-implement Word!

> the standard is useless in this
> regard. It doesn't specify a single "best practice" it gloms
> together bits of dissimilar methods into a single standard.

As far as I can see, it simply allows other programs to read and create
files that are compatible with Word very easily.  I don't think anyone is
going to attempt to implement every single feature of the real Word.  And I
guess the reasons that governments want it is so that if MS suddenly decides
to do something stupid (very unlikely) then other programs will be available
to easily get the data.