POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A simple question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  A simple question (Message 11 to 20 of 153)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A simple question
Date: 31 Mar 2008 14:12:34
Message: <47f137a2$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:01:09 +0300, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> I've also seen a few Dell models with reasonably good speakers on them
>> - D6xx series and C610/C640 series.
>
> The built-in cucumber-cans of D610 and D620 are mostly pathetic.

My kid just picked up a used D610 and he seemed happy with the speakers
so far.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Mar 2008 14:26:03
Message: <47f13acb@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   I know next to nothing about audio and loudspeaker technology, but as
> far as I understand the capability of a loudspeaker to play bass
> frequencies is more or less directly proportional to the physical size
> of the loudspeaker (you need a larger box to get lower frequencies).
> Thus it's very difficult if not impossible to play low frequencies with
> very small speakers which do not have any volume to them to speak of.
> Thus you will never get high-quality sound from very small speakers.
>
>   (One could ask what about headphones. Those are pretty small speakers
> and they can play pretty low frequencies. I assume it has something to
> do with their physical location with respect to the ear canal.)

Well, actually, I've found a pair of external speakers which are pretty
small, yet seem to produce a surprising amount of bass.

The interesting thing is that the bass frequencies seem to die away
*rapidly* as you move away from the speakers. So I'm hypothesizing that
it's not so much that small speakers don't generate bass, but rather
that it diminishes rapidly with distance. In other words, I hypothesize
that you need a physically large speaker to generate low frequency waves
that will *travel* some distance before dissapating.

What physical basis there is for this hypothesis, I have no idea...

[I also notice that the speakers in question are DAMN HEAVY. This may or
may not be significant...]

Post a reply to this message