POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fat lady takes the stage... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  The fat lady takes the stage... (Message 1 to 10 of 36)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: The fat lady takes the stage...
Date: 27 Mar 2008 16:15:50
Message: <47ec0e86@news.povray.org>
I had a meeting with my boss this morning and informed him that he can
expect a resignation letter in a couple of months.

It's something I've been planning for a while and now its the right time.
I'll be leaving a nice cushy job at the bank and joining a consulting and
training company.

It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
I'm more than a little nervous.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:16:28 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>I had a meeting with my boss this morning and informed him that he can
>expect a resignation letter in a couple of months.

Why give him so much notice? Is it a good idea?

>It's something I've been planning for a while and now its the right time.
>I'll be leaving a nice cushy job at the bank and joining a consulting and
>training company.

Welcome to the high pressure world but it's more fun than a safe job
IMO.

>It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
>I'm more than a little nervous.

Listen to your fear :)
Seriously, good luck in your new career and I wish you all the best.

What sort of consulting BTW?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I had a meeting with my boss this morning and informed him that he can
> expect a resignation letter in a couple of months.
>
> It's something I've been planning for a while and now its the right time.
> I'll be leaving a nice cushy job at the bank and joining a consulting and
> training company.
>
> It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
> I'm more than a little nervous.

I don't remember you as fat. Unless I interpreted the picture with the
girl and the elephant wrong.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 27 Mar 2008 16:38:57
Message: <47ec13f1@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:47E### [at] hotmailcom...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
> > I had a meeting with my boss this morning and informed him that he can
> > expect a resignation letter in a couple of months.
> >
> > It's something I've been planning for a while and now its the right
time.
> > I'll be leaving a nice cushy job at the bank and joining a consulting
and
> > training company.
> >
> > It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
> > I'm more than a little nervous.
> >

> I don't remember you as fat. Unless I interpreted the picture with the
> girl and the elephant wrong.

Title refers to the old saying 'It ain't over til the fat lady sings'

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Mar 2008 16:42:17
Message: <d45ou3paqekcgoe16srh0c255su757pqr3@4ax.com>
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:33:42 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>I don't remember you as fat. Unless I interpreted the picture with the
>girl and the elephant wrong.

Ooo!

I assumed that it referred to Tristan and Isolde where the show's not
over until ...
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 27 Mar 2008 16:48:40
Message: <47ec1638@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:16:28 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
> <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
>
> >I had a meeting with my boss this morning and informed him that he can
> >expect a resignation letter in a couple of months.
>
> Why give him so much notice? Is it a good idea?

He's one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. I have a great deal of
respect for him and I wanted to give him lots of advance warning.
It wasn't formal notice, just a friendly chat

> >It's something I've been planning for a while and now its the right time.
> >I'll be leaving a nice cushy job at the bank and joining a consulting and
> >training company.
>
> Welcome to the high pressure world but it's more fun than a safe job
> IMO.

Yup! That's what I'm hoping....
The company I'm joining is small and all the consultants are top experts in
their fields. No straight-from-university SAP consultants here.
www.xpertease.co.za

I've known their other SQL consultant for a few years. He taught me a lot of
what I know of SQL Server. It's going to be interesting working with him.

> >It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
> >I'm more than a little nervous.
> >
> Listen to your fear :)
> Seriously, good luck in your new career and I wish you all the best.
>
> What sort of consulting BTW?

Assorted SQL-Server stuff. I also hear I'll be doing some Oracle from time
to time. Guess I need to polish up the (non-existant) Oracle skills
From system design to fire-fighting crises and everything in between. My
specialty is performance tuning, so a lot in that area.
SQL-related training, both the MS official courses and self-created courses.
I'll probably also be doing some sharepoint training from time to time,
because it's very popular.

What kind of consulting do you do?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 27 Mar 2008 17:13:55
Message: <47ec1c23$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> I don't remember you as fat. Unless I interpreted the picture with the
> girl and the elephant wrong.

1. Wow, you beat me to it!

2. OMG, you did it *way* better than what I had in mind! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: andrel
Date: 27 Mar 2008 17:27:25
Message: <47EC1F6A.9030207@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>
>> I don't remember you as fat. Unless I interpreted the picture with the
>> girl and the elephant wrong.
>
> 1. Wow, you beat me to it!
>
> 2. OMG, you did it *way* better than what I had in mind! :-D

That may be, but it still leaves to be deserved. 'Unless' is absolutely
the wrong word to use here. It does not fit with the 'remember' in the
sentence before. I only noticed the moment that I pressed 'send' :( .
'Apparently' would have been much better, I think.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Mar 2008 17:46:02
Message: <447ou39t24rkl8nalbii9hf5eokp59c6bu@4ax.com>
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:49:20 +0200, "Gail Shaw"
<initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:

>He's one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. I have a great deal of
>respect for him and I wanted to give him lots of advance warning.
>It wasn't formal notice, just a friendly chat

That's ok then :) It's hard leaving someone you like in the lurch.

>> Welcome to the high pressure world but it's more fun than a safe job
>> IMO.
>
>Yup! That's what I'm hoping....
>The company I'm joining is small and all the consultants are top experts in
>their fields.
>www.xpertease.co.za

Getting in early in a young company can lead to great things.

>No straight-from-university SAP consultants here.

LOL, SA is well known for them :)
(See below)

>I've known their other SQL consultant for a few years. He taught me a lot of
>what I know of SQL Server. It's going to be interesting working with him.
>
>> >It's going to be interesting, it's going to be fun.
>> >I'm more than a little nervous.
>> >
>> Listen to your fear :)
>> Seriously, good luck in your new career and I wish you all the best.
>>
>> What sort of consulting BTW?
>
>Assorted SQL-Server stuff. I also hear I'll be doing some Oracle from time
>to time. Guess I need to polish up the (non-existant) Oracle skills
>From system design to fire-fighting crises and everything in between. My
>specialty is performance tuning, so a lot in that area.

Oh! Assorted clever (NB not cleaver) stuff, then. It sounds
fascinating and a real challenge. I'm sure you will do well.

>SQL-related training, both the MS official courses and self-created courses.
>I'll probably also be doing some sharepoint training from time to time,
>because it's very popular.

That's funny, one of us leave education and another joins. It is a
strange world in some ways.

>What kind of consulting do you do?

SAP concultant, would you believe?

Functional, I hasten to add and not a graduate to boot.
Actually I'm just an overpaid contractor, a migrant worker even. I
don't mean like in Soweto more like a Tinker or a Gypsy :)
I hope you like travelling and meeting lots of different people. I do
and like that part of the job.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Mar 2008 17:52:44
Message: <b99ou3t4tj40om40uin62ric3id18e1a8s@4ax.com>
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:27:54 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>That may be, but it still leaves to be deserved. 'Unless' is absolutely
>the wrong word to use here. It does not fit with the 'remember' in the
>sentence before. I only noticed the moment that I pressed 'send' :( .
>'Apparently' would have been much better, I think.

No! That makes it funny, it leaves an element of doubt. I'm sure Gail
expected smart arsed comments or she wouldn't have mentioned "The fat
lady"
--

Regards
     Stephen