POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow, 700+ unread messages Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Wow, 700+ unread messages (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Wow, 700+ unread messages
Date: 26 Mar 2008 14:44:25
Message: <47eaa799@news.povray.org>
news:47ea7ecc$1@news.povray.org...
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> > Pffft. Try not checking your email while subscribed to the Haskell cafe
> > group. That thing regularly generates 200 messages PER DAY. :-P
>
> I used to get that much from my coworkers.

I went into work yesterday after a 4 day weekend to find 575 mails in my
inbox, about 1780 status emails from various servers and about 300 emails
reporting severe errors.

It's about average these days

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 26 Mar 2008 14:46:51
Message: <47eaa82b@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> I went into work yesterday after a 4 day weekend to find 575 mails in my
> inbox, about 1780 status emails from various servers and about 300 emails
> reporting severe errors.
>
> It's about average these days

I used to get status emails from the RAID controller on our DB server
(??!) when the server rebooted.

These days, it's our document management system. If you're supposed to
be reviewing a document, it likes to spam you daily.

Even better, if you exceed your mailbox limit, the Exchange server spams
you hourly. (??!?!)

Seriously, hourly. I told the admin I thought that's a little OTT, so he
made it spam you ever 4 hours instead. WTF?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:47:05 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
>> I went into work yesterday after a 4 day weekend to find 575 mails in
>> my inbox, about 1780 status emails from various servers and about 300
>> emails reporting severe errors.
>>
>> It's about average these days
>
> I used to get status emails from the RAID controller on our DB server
> (??!) when the server rebooted.
>
> These days, it's our document management system. If you're supposed to
> be reviewing a document, it likes to spam you daily.
>
> Even better, if you exceed your mailbox limit, the Exchange server spams
> you hourly. (??!?!)

I manage a Mailman list at work (one of several moderators for the list)
- I get subscribe/unsubscribe notices by the bucketload every day.  I've
got a rule for the unsub messages (because I don't care when someone
leaves the list).

And people wonder why I don't like Exchange (yes, I know it's
configurable). ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message