POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Suggestion Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Suggestion (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Suggestion
Date: 27 Mar 2008 01:14:05
Message: <47eb3b2d@news.povray.org>
It seems to me that the 'object' collection really wants to be a 'macro'
collection. This would serve a somewhat divergent purpose from an
'object' collection in my mind.

Strictly an 'object' collection, it seems to me, acts like a trove of
antiques in a shop.  You rummage there for oddities, particular things,
to be used more or less as found.  In that paradigm, the idea of
'thousands' of items makes sense.

But right now, it seems, submissions need to occupy a sort of
intersection set. They must be objects, but objects built procedurally
from macros, and ideally using csg techniques. This can put a submitter
wanting to create interesting objects at cross-purposes.  Such an
intersection set of requirements can be restrictive. Modularity does not
usually lend itself to particularity.

It would be better to define and recognize the true nature of the
effort. This would be to build macros of all kinds, including csg-object
macros, and which serve manifold purposes. The classic example here,
would be the MakeTree macro. One little macro, trees, bushes, coral,
blood vessels,...lots of variety. The sense of variety, and more so, the
sense of usefullness of the collection, lies precisely in the level of
usefulness, the manifold scope, of the core macros in the collection.
Then requirements of modularity become the strength rather than a
restriction.

This would also remove a taint of hegemony.  The hegemony that an
'official POV object' must be a csg object, or at the outside, something
procedurally produced.  I admire a useful macro.  I resent having to
conform to a particular method of producing objects.  And I just can't
shake the feeling that such a hegemony of conformity is the true thrust
behind the 'object' collection as it is now defined.

Post a reply to this message