POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : A couple more things Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:00:09 EDT (-0400)
  A couple more things (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Blue Herring
Subject: A couple more things
Date: 5 Jun 2008 15:33:31
Message: <48483f8b$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,
   I'm planning on uploading some new things soon, and I have a couple
of questions/suggestions about the object collection.

1. Do declarations in scene files not intended to be imported need to
follow the prefix naming conventions?  A big example would be demo or
example scenes included with a package.

2. Is there any method of counting numbers of downloads of certain
objects?  If not it would be nice for developers to see what kind of
activity their packages are getting.

3. Is there a specific reason that SVG files are not permitted for
upload?  I use Inkscape a lot when developing prisms and lathes, and it
would be nice to include the original SVG with the rest of the files.

Thanks in advance!

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring

Post a reply to this message

"Blue Herring" <pov### [at] bherringcotsenet> wrote in message
> Hello,
>   I'm planning on uploading some new things soon, and I have a couple of
> questions/suggestions about the object collection.
>
> 1. Do declarations in scene files not intended to be imported need to
> follow the prefix naming conventions?  A big example would be demo or
> example scenes included with a package.

Strictly speaking, no. The naming conventions are there to help minimise
naming collisions which would mainly be a problem with included files.

> 2. Is there any method of counting numbers of downloads of certain
> objects?  If not it would be nice for developers to see what kind of
> activity their packages are getting.

We've been recording downloads since mid-March, but currently this info
isn't displayed anywhere. I'll look at putting together a query to summarize
the data.

> 3. Is there a specific reason that SVG files are not permitted for upload?
> I use Inkscape a lot when developing prisms and lathes, and it would be
> nice to include the original SVG with the rest of the files.

The automatic upload scripts restrict file types to those directly supported
by POV-Ray or Moray (plus HTML related files for documentation).
Administrators can upload other file types.

In the sort of case you outline, where the POV-Ray files work fine without
InkScape, but where the SVG files add value to someone wishing to tailor the
shapes, I think it's a good idea to make them available.

I would suggest that you upload the POV-Ray files and create the entry for
the object, then send the SVG files in a zipped archive to the
administrators email address (see http://lib.povray.org/members/). We can
then add the zip file to the object files so it gets downloaded with them.
I'd recommend calling the zip file 'yourobjectname_svgsource.zip'.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

> Strictly speaking, no. The naming conventions are there to help minimise
> naming collisions which would mainly be a problem with included files.

Makes sense, thats what I thought but I didn't want to assume.

> We've been recording downloads since mid-March, but currently this info
> isn't displayed anywhere. I'll look at putting together a query to summarize
> the data.

That would be great, thanks.

> The automatic upload scripts restrict file types to those directly supported
> by POV-Ray or Moray (plus HTML related files for documentation).
> Administrators can upload other file types.
>
> In the sort of case you outline, where the POV-Ray files work fine without
> InkScape, but where the SVG files add value to someone wishing to tailor the
> shapes, I think it's a good idea to make them available.
>
> I would suggest that you upload the POV-Ray files and create the entry for
> the object, then send the SVG files in a zipped archive to the
> administrators email address (see http://lib.povray.org/members/). We can
> then add the zip file to the object files so it gets downloaded with them.
> I'd recommend calling the zip file 'yourobjectname_svgsource.zip'.

Great, thanks for the help, I'll do this.