POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Re: My Office... Server Time
8 Feb 2023 05:30:59 EST (-0500)
  Re: My Office... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)  
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 10:04:29
Message: <47a5d7fd$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers escribió:
> (no point in putting in 
> something that can be modeled in 5 minutes...)

There is a point actually. I could post a quick-n-dirty model that I did 
in 5 minutes. Other people could use it as a base to make it more 
complex, detailed, and flexible. If individuals post complete and 
finished models only, it's not as much of a community effort...

(follow-up to p.o-c, if I got it right)


Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 15:31:52
Message: <47a624b8$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Chambers escribió:
>> (no point in putting in something that can be modeled in 5 minutes...)
> 
> There is a point actually. I could post a quick-n-dirty model that I did 
> in 5 minutes. Other people could use it as a base to make it more 
> complex, detailed, and flexible. If individuals post complete and 
> finished models only, it's not as much of a community effort...
> 
> (follow-up to p.o-c, if I got it right)

Good point, but only for a WIP collection.

I don't want this to become a collection of half-baked models; I want 
them to be

a) High quality, ready to use in a final scene
b) Flexible, so they'll fit a variety of needs

Maybe, if you have a wip you don't want to continue, post it in p.b.i 
separately, and see if anyone wants to continue it?

-- 
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 15:58:57
Message: <47a62b11@news.povray.org>

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>> (no point in putting in something that can be modeled in 5 minutes...)
>>
>> There is a point actually. I could post a quick-n-dirty model that I 
>> did in 5 minutes. Other people could use it as a base to make it more 
>> complex, detailed, and flexible. If individuals post complete and 
>> finished models only, it's not as much of a community effort...
> 
> Good point, but only for a WIP collection.
> 
> I don't want this to become a collection of half-baked models

They can keep baking for a while. Once they are more complete and not 
"half-baked", *then* they can go to the collection.


Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 16:17:41
Message: <47a62f75@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> I don't want this to become a collection of half-baked models; I want 
> them to be

Having organized several things like this in my career, I'll suggest 
that it would be useful to allow "half-baked models", along with a 
rating system as to quality, complexity, customizability, etc. Usually 
just a 1-5 quality rating will do. This lets people looking for *any* 
model of a giraffe (say) find something to at least start with...

-- 
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 16:30:02
Message: <47a6325a$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote in message 
news:47a62b11@news.povray.org...

>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>>> (no point in putting in something that can be modeled in 5 minutes...)
>>>
>>> There is a point actually. I could post a quick-n-dirty model that I did 
>>> in 5 minutes. Other people could use it as a base to make it more 
>>> complex, detailed, and flexible. If individuals post complete and 
>>> finished models only, it's not as much of a community effort...
>>
>> Good point, but only for a WIP collection.
>>
>> I don't want this to become a collection of half-baked models
>
> They can keep baking for a while. Once they are more complete and not 
> "half-baked", *then* they can go to the collection.

I think there are two different levels of collaboration that we're talking 
about here.

If you want to collaborate on the creation of a single object then you can 
do that along with others through the news groups and/or through a web page 
if you want to set that up to manage the task.

On the other hand. To assemble a bundle of objects it's probably excessive 
to expect the person bundling the objects together to also manage incomplete 
objects. It's going to be touch enough taking objects from different people 
and giving them a basic degree of consistency.

These two levels of collaboration can work just fine together or separately. 
If you want to manage collaboration on an individual object you can then 
submit tested and documented versions either to Ben's bundle (if it seems 
consistent with the theme), or directly to the object collection.

Regards,
Chris B.


Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 16:39:38
Message: <47a6349a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> I don't want this to become a collection of half-baked models; I want 
>> them to be
> 
> Having organized several things like this in my career, I'll suggest 
> that it would be useful to allow "half-baked models", along with a 
> rating system as to quality, complexity, customizability, etc. Usually 
> just a 1-5 quality rating will do. This lets people looking for *any* 
> model of a giraffe (say) find something to at least start with...
> 

Yes, but that's why we have the object collection.  I'm trying to put 
together a single package within that collection.

If you have a 'half baked model', by all means upload it to 
lib.povray.org on its own, and I'll be more than happy to look at it.

-- 
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 16:48:48
Message: <47a636c0@news.povray.org>
"Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message 
news:47a62f75@news.povray.org...
> Chambers wrote:
>> I don't want this to become a collection of half-baked models; I want 
>> them to be
>
> Having organized several things like this in my career, I'll suggest that 
> it would be useful to allow "half-baked models", along with a rating 
> system as to quality, complexity, customizability, etc. Usually just a 1-5 
> quality rating will do. This lets people looking for *any* model of a 
> giraffe (say) find something to at least start with...
>
> -- 
>   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
>     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Hi Darren,

I think this is something slightly different.

The http://lib.povray.org web site does support non-standard submissions. 
You can rate your contribution (1-3) and indicate that it's doesn't comply 
with the standards. By default the search won't display such objects, but 
there is an option on the search screen to display non-compliant objects 
(just below the keywords box).

Once an item has been submitted, anyone (anyone who's bothered to register) 
can provide feedback on quality, complexity, compliance etc. with both free 
text fields and numeric ratings.

Ben is attempting to put together a cluster of high quality objects for 
submission to the collection. Anyone who wants to promote the development of 
the collection in other ways is also welcome to do so and, IMO will also be 
doing the community a service.

Regards,
Chris B.

Regards,
Chris B.


Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: My Office...
Date: 3 Feb 2008 17:01:58
Message: <47a639d6$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Yes, but that's why we have the object collection.  I'm trying to put 
> together a single package within that collection.

Cool. Sorry. I misunderstood. :-)

-- 
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.