POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
16 May 2024 23:29:16 EDT (-0400)
  Stacking stones without overlapping (Message 31 to 40 of 64)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
Date: 20 Jun 2017 17:18:42
Message: <59499132$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/20/2017 9:54 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "Ari" <win### [at] yahoocomhk> wrote:
>> Hi, everyone.
>> I have been spending time searching on the internet and reading your guys'
>> information. However, I realized almost all of them required "some mathematical
>> background", especially Voronoi Diagram being shown the most frequently. I try
>> my best to understand them but I can't due to the lack of Maths background(I
>> only know some integration/sequence and differentiation from classes :( ). I
>> then try to work with an external program but I don't how to make use of it
>> well. (I installed the pyvoro in Python) So, I just went back to the basic now.
>> ( Damn, I am stupid! Just want to cry in a corner)
>
> I think you'll be fine.
> A lot of stuff was thrown at you all at once.
> Voronoi / Delaunay is NOT an easy thing to do from scratch - which is why Sam
> Benge used an external program to generate his data set.
> Pov-ray's crackle pattern is essentially a Voronoi diagram, and you can use it
> to make a pattern, or pass it to an isosurface as a function, to get "real 3d"
> shapes.
> I'd start with the spheres like you're doing, and then you can get a working
> scene, and practice with POV-Ray's SDL syntax, and programming logic.

You know the differences in our outlooks on this problem are quite
philosophical. But this is not the time to go into it. There is no good
reason to. It would only be confusing.

> No worries - it'll be ok   ;)

Yes it will be. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jun 2017 02:45:54
Message: <594a1622@news.povray.org>
On 20-6-2017 23:04, Stephen wrote:
> On 6/20/2017 8:57 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 6/20/2017 8:08 PM, Ari wrote:
>>>   I try
>>> my best to understand them but I can't due to the lack of Maths
>>> background(I
>>> only know some integration/sequence and differentiation from
>>> classes:(  ).
>>
>> You and me both. :)
>>

> So what I would do, knowing that most of the guys here have been using
> PovRay for years and they are wizards at maths and programming. Is to
> start simple then refine it as you go along.
> The image you linked to was by someone who stuns everyone with his work.
> So it is not a fair goal to try and do in a couple of months.
>
> If you look at the trace function it will tell you how far away an
> object is from a reference point. If you move that reference point in a
> regular scan. You can build up a pattern of spheres. When you are happy
> with that you can then add some randomness to what you are building.
> Irregular scaling of the spheres to be laid down to give the impression
> of stones. offset the trace reference point so the spheres don't stack
> up in columns etc.
> Then you will get ideas of your own to enhance it.

That is a good way to start. I shall have to try that scenario myself
too I guess: been years since I wanted to explore that path. :-)

> Remember us enjuneers have to make thinks work. And if it doesn't fit
> use a bigger hammer. ;-)

Not only enjuneers. Small apes like me too (using stones)... ;-)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 6/21/2017 7:45 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 20-6-2017 23:04, Stephen wrote:

>> So what I would do, knowing that most of the guys here have been using
>> PovRay for years and they are wizards at maths and programming. Is to
>> start simple then refine it as you go along.
>> The image you linked to was by someone who stuns everyone with his
>> work. So it is not a fair goal to try and do in a couple of months.
>>
>> If you look at the trace function it will tell you how far away an
>> object is from a reference point. If you move that reference point in
>> a regular scan. You can build up a pattern of spheres. When you are
>> happy with that you can then add some randomness to what you are
>> building. Irregular scaling of the spheres to be laid down to give the
>> impression of stones. offset the trace reference point so the spheres
>> don't stack up in columns etc.
>> Then you will get ideas of your own to enhance it.
>
> That is a good way to start. I shall have to try that scenario myself
> too I guess: been years since I wanted to explore that path. :-)

If I can find the time I will try it in Blender. But the learning. :)

>> Remember us enjuneers have to make thinks work. And if it doesn't fit
>> use a bigger hammer. ;-)
>>

> Not only enjuneers. Small apes like me too (using stones)... ;-)

[Top tip] Tie a stick to your stone. :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> So what I would do, knowing that most of the guys here have been using
>>> PovRay for years and they are wizards at maths and programming. Is to
>>> start simple then refine it as you go along.
>>> The image you linked to was by someone who stuns everyone with his
>>> work. So it is not a fair goal to try and do in a couple of months.
>>>
>>> If you look at the trace function it will tell you how far away an
>>> object is from a reference point. If you move that reference point in
>>> a regular scan. You can build up a pattern of spheres. When you are
>>> happy with that you can then add some randomness to what you are
>>> building. Irregular scaling of the spheres to be laid down to give the
>>> impression of stones. offset the trace reference point so the spheres
>>> don't stack up in columns etc.
>>> Then you will get ideas of your own to enhance it.
>>
>> That is a good way to start. I shall have to try that scenario myself
>> too I guess: been years since I wanted to explore that path. :-)
>>

> If I can find the time I will try it in Blender. But the learning. :)
>>>
>>> Remember us enjuneers have to make thinks work. And if it doesn't fit
>>> use a bigger hammer. ;-)
>>>

>> Not only enjuneers. Small apes like me too (using stones)... ;-)
>>

> [Top tip] Tie a stick to your stone. :)

Tried that. Stick broke. :={

--
Thomas