POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : detail information about location of camera Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  detail information about location of camera (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Simon
Subject: detail information about location of camera
Date: 6 Jan 2014 01:10:00
Message: <web.52ca47b0b1d170b2e6ccd8f40@news.povray.org>
Hello!

Due to the need of my research, I eagerly need the specific information of
location of camera.

The help file only tells location is the position of the camera, but which
part of a real camera does this position describe? Is it the optic center,
principle point or other parameter of a real camera?

Thanks for your time.

Simon^__^

Post a reply to this message

> Due to the need of my research, I eagerly need the specific information of
> location of camera.
>
> The help file only tells location is the position of the camera, but which
> part of a real camera does this position describe? Is it the optic center,
> principle point or other parameter of a real camera?

I'm not an expert at Gaussian optics (just learned about it right now
from Wikipedia :-)), but it would seem to me that the camera location
defines none of the cardinal points, but rather the no-parallax point
(aka center of perspective, perspective point, view point or projection
centre).

Post a reply to this message

> Due to the need of my research, I eagerly need the specific information of
> location of camera.
>
> The help file only tells location is the position of the camera, but which
> part of a real camera does this position describe? Is it the optic center,
> principle point or other parameter of a real camera?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Simon^__^

Assuming a perspective camera (the default), the location of the
Povray's camera is equivalent to the location of the pinhole in the
perfect camera obscura.

for orthographic camera, it is the location of the center of the picture.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

> > Due to the need of my research, I eagerly need the specific information of
> > location of camera.
> >
> > The help file only tells location is the position of the camera, but which
> > part of a real camera does this position describe? Is it the optic center,
> > principle point or other parameter of a real camera?
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> >
> > Simon^__^
>
> Assuming a perspective camera (the default), the location of the
> Povray's camera is equivalent to the location of the pinhole in the
> perfect camera obscura.
>
> for orthographic camera, it is the location of the center of the picture.
>

> --
> Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Thanks for your answer!
Can I regard your answer as a optic center for a perspective camera?

Sorry if I'm in an unpolite manner, this parameter is very important for me.

Simon

Post a reply to this message