POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Cyrillics! How to use? Server Time
14 May 2024 03:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Cyrillics! How to use? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: LanuHum
Subject: Cyrillics! How to use?
Date: 9 Jun 2013 04:45:01
Message: <web.51b43fe096752119113a021b0@news.povray.org>
How to use ways and the files called in the native language?
It is always convenient to call textures, materials and objects in language
which very badly you understand.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Cyrillics! How to use?
Date: 9 Jun 2013 09:58:15
Message: <51b489f7$1@news.povray.org>
LanuHum wrote:

> How to use ways and the files called in the native language?
> It is always convenient to call textures, materials and objects in language
> which very badly you understand.

As with most programming languages, I think this is not possible.
Syntactic identifiers are usually restricted to underscore, digits,
and the letters A-Z or a-z.

For use in text strings (e.g. to render kyrillic text {} object)
you can set the "charset" option to "utf8". You might even use this
to store objects in a "dictionary" based on an array of objects and
an array of (kyrillic) names, but that is not too convenient either.

Post a reply to this message

> As with most programming languages, I think this is not possible.
> Syntactic identifiers are usually restricted to underscore, digits,
> and the letters A-Z or a-z.
>
> For use in text strings (e.g. to render kyrillic text {} object)
> you can set the "charset" option to "utf8". You might even use this
> to store objects in a "dictionary" based on an array of objects and
> an array of (kyrillic) names, but that is not too convenient either.

Now only Povray doesn't support headings in Unicode
Blender is written on С supports
AOI is written on Java supports
Qt on C++  supports
Python supports
Who doesn't support? Borland and Walgrind? Is on whom to equal, aga :)
Very bad!
Now still the shifrator-decoder should be glued in the exporter from Blender in
Povray. :(
Oh!

Post a reply to this message

> > How to use ways and the files called in the native language?
> > It is always convenient to call textures, materials and objects in language
> > which very badly you understand.
>
> As with most programming languages, I think this is not possible.
> Syntactic identifiers are usually restricted to underscore, digits,
> and the letters A-Z or a-z.

True enough.  Alas, the computer was not invented in Russia, and Americans got
first dibs on the language of the languages.

> For use in text strings (e.g. to render kyrillic text {} object)
> you can set the "charset" option to "utf8". You might even use this
> to store objects in a "dictionary" based on an array of objects and
> an array of (kyrillic) names, but that is not too convenient either.

LanuHum did not say what operating system he uses, but IIRC, the PovWin IDE does
not support Unicode.  With the Unicode-based editor that I use in Linux, it is
no problem to paste Cyrillic characters into the scene file, and the POV-Ray
back end handles them flawlessly (regardless of the OS), but looking at the file
with the PovWin IDE, the characters look like gibberish.

Post a reply to this message

"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:

> LanuHum did not say what operating system he uses, but IIRC, the PovWin IDE does
> not support Unicode.  With the Unicode-based editor that I use in Linux, it is
> no problem to paste Cyrillic characters into the scene file, and the POV-Ray
> back end handles them flawlessly (regardless of the OS), but looking at the file
> with the PovWin IDE, the characters look like gibberish.

My OS - Linux. Fedora-18 and Mageia-3
if cyrillic:
        image_map {

"/home/leonid/Blender/textures/проба.png"
//проба - cyrillic symbol
        filter all 0 transmit all 0}

Konsole wrote:

File '/home/leonid/Blender/povray/test/povwip.pov' line 42: Possible Parse
 Error: Cannot find file '/home/leonid/Blender/textures/          .png',
even after trying to append file type extension.
File '/home/leonid/Blender/povray/test/povwip.pov' line 42: Possible Parse
 Error: Cannot find image file.
Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
Render failed

look:spacespacespacespace.png

Post a reply to this message

> "/home/leonid/Blender/textures/проба.png"
> //проба - cyrillic symbol
>         filter all 0 transmit all 0}

POV-Ray SDL is not HTML.  The correct syntax is
"\u043F\u0440\u043E\u0431\u0430".

> Konsole wrote:
>

> File '/home/leonid/Blender/povray/test/povwip.pov' line 42: Possible Parse
>  Error: Cannot find file '/home/leonid/Blender/textures/          .png',
> even after trying to append file type extension.
> File '/home/leonid/Blender/povray/test/povwip.pov' line 42: Possible Parse
>  Error: Cannot find image file.
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
> Render failed
>
> look:spacespacespacespace.png

I tried an image map both using the correct POV-Ray syntax and copying and
pasting the Cyrillic text directly into the scene file.  As noted, both
techniques work in a text{} object, but it appears that POV-Ray cannot handle
non-ASCII file names or read and write non-ASCII text.  This is a serious
limitation for an international program.

Post a reply to this message

"Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> "LanuHum" <Lan### [at] yandexru> wrote:
> > My OS - Linux. Fedora-18 and Mageia-3
> > if cyrillic:
> >         image_map {
> >
> > "/home/leonid/Blender/textures/проба.png"
> > //проба - cyrillic symbol
> >         filter all 0 transmit all 0}
>
> POV-Ray SDL is not HTML.  The correct syntax is
> "\u043F\u0440\u043E\u0431\u0430".
>
> > Konsole wrote:
> >

> > File '/home/leonid/Blender/povray/test/povwip.pov' line 42: Possible Parse
> >  Error: Cannot find file '/home/leonid/Blender/textures/          .png',
> > even after trying to append file type extension.
> > File '/home/leonid/Blender/povray/test/povwip.pov' line 42: Possible Parse
> >  Error: Cannot find image file.
> > Fatal error in parser: Cannot open file.
> > Render failed
> >
> > look:spacespacespacespace.png
>
> I tried an image map both using the correct POV-Ray syntax and copying and
> pasting the Cyrillic text directly into the scene file.  As noted, both
> techniques work in a text{} object, but it appears that POV-Ray cannot handle
> non-ASCII file names or read and write non-ASCII text.  This is a serious
> limitation for an international program.

2.5 years nothing was changed :(
global_settings {
    assumed_gamma 1.000000
    charset utf8
}
#declare Im_Name = concat(chr(1079) chr(1072) chr(1085) chr(1072) chr(1074)
chr(1077) chr(1089) chr(1082) chr(1072) chr(46) chr(112) chr(110) chr(103) )
#declare Material = texture{
    pigment{ image_map{png Im_Name }

File '/tmp/Empty.pov' line 16: Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file '
 .png', even after trying to append file type extension.
File '/tmp/Empty.pov' line 16: Possible Parse Error: Cannot find image file.