POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : HDR test with sky_sphere and regular sphere Server Time
23 May 2024 19:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  HDR test with sky_sphere and regular sphere (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: acasta
Subject: HDR test with sky_sphere and regular sphere
Date: 21 Dec 2011 11:20:01
Message: <web.4ef20639a52269b117bdd960@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody

I'm trying some test with HDR lighting, using the example shown in this thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.4e316b7b630a1fa94c0a951f0%40news.povray.org%3E

I have commented the following sky_sphere block:

sky_sphere {
  pigment {image_map {hdr "*HDR_FILE_PATH.hdr*" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}
  rotate y*-120
}

and added this instead:

sphere {
  <0,0,0>, 10000
  pigment {image_map {hdr "*HDR_FILE_PATH.hdr*" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}
  rotate y*-120
  hollow
}

(this is as suggested in another thread, to be able to maintain the lighting of
the chosen hdr file while showing some other image mapped on the sky_sphere).

I expected to obtain the same result at this point, on the contrary I get a much
darker image (so lighting must be substantially different) and also an array" of
evenly spaced irregularly-shaped "blots" over the image.

Could someone please explain what is happening?
I've read docs about sky_sphere, but I did not understand why it should give
such different lighting results... To my understanding it should just be
enclosing anything else in the scene...

Thanks in advance,
Alessandro

Post a reply to this message

Le 21/12/2011 17:17, acasta nous fit lire :
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm trying some test with HDR lighting, using the example shown in this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.4e316b7b630a1fa94c0a951f0%40news.povray.org%3E

> I have commented the following sky_sphere block:
>
> sky_sphere {
>   pigment {image_map {hdr "*HDR_FILE_PATH.hdr*" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}
>   rotate y*-120
> }
>
> and added this instead:
>
> sphere {
>   <0,0,0>, 10000
>   pigment {image_map {hdr "*HDR_FILE_PATH.hdr*" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}
>   rotate y*-120
>   hollow
> }
>

> I expected to obtain the same result at this point, on the contrary I get a much
> darker image (so lighting must be substantially different) and also an array" of
> evenly spaced irregularly-shaped "blots" over the image.
>
> Could someone please explain what is happening?

what is your finish on the sphere ? (hint: unless you use something
along "ambient 1.0 diffuse 0.0 ... ", the aspect of the texture/pigment
on a point of the sphere is subject to reachability by a light source,
and the relevant light that it gets.)

Post a reply to this message