POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : HDR test with sky_sphere and regular sphere : HDR test with sky_sphere and regular sphere Server Time
16 Jun 2024 12:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  HDR test with sky_sphere and regular sphere
From: acasta
Date: 21 Dec 2011 11:20:01
Message: <web.4ef20639a52269b117bdd960@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody

I'm trying some test with HDR lighting, using the example shown in this thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.4e316b7b630a1fa94c0a951f0%40news.povray.org%3E

I have commented the following sky_sphere block:

sky_sphere {
  pigment {image_map {hdr "*HDR_FILE_PATH.hdr*" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}
  rotate y*-120
}

and added this instead:

sphere {
  <0,0,0>, 10000
  pigment {image_map {hdr "*HDR_FILE_PATH.hdr*" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}
  rotate y*-120
  hollow
}

(this is as suggested in another thread, to be able to maintain the lighting of
the chosen hdr file while showing some other image mapped on the sky_sphere).

I expected to obtain the same result at this point, on the contrary I get a much
darker image (so lighting must be substantially different) and also an array" of
evenly spaced irregularly-shaped "blots" over the image.

Could someone please explain what is happening?
I've read docs about sky_sphere, but I did not understand why it should give
such different lighting results... To my understanding it should just be
enclosing anything else in the scene...

Thanks in advance,
Alessandro