POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : system in turbulence Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:32:20 EDT (-0400)
  system in turbulence (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: KalleK
Subject: system in turbulence
Date: 19 Apr 2001 12:47:31
Message: <3adf16a3@news.povray.org>
Hi All!

I have a question to turbulence. As far as I know, should it be
(pseudo-)random. But if you look at a wood texture  with turbulence
.15 you will see a "system". There are larger scaled areas oriented
perpendicular to the axises in a regular distance.

to see what I mean render:

plane {z,0
 pigment { wood
  color_map {[0.0 color red 1][1.0 color rgb 0]}
  turbulence .15
 }
 finish {ambient 1}
}
camera{location z*40 look_at 0}

use (1-cos(pi*clock*2))*.1 instead of .15 in the turbulence statement
for a nice animation.

Now:
is it:
a) a 'feature' of turbulence caused by the fact that turbulence is
*pseudo* random
b) a bug and
 b1)is already fixed in megapov/povray3.5
 b2)is not fixed yet
 b3)is not to fix
c)something else, that is: ________

I whould prefer b1) but I don't think so.
How can I da a workaround?
I just wanted to make a nice simple woodtexture, but those rings
telling me the growth per year show me an unreal 'turbuelence' in the
thickness.
Thanks in advance!

cukk

Post a reply to this message